Visit Derry Scoops Best Local Tourist Board Award
- Visit Derry have been voted the Best Local Tourist Board in Ireland
- Visit Derry scooped this major award for the city’s destination management organisation at the Irish Travel Trade Awards 2021 held recently in Dublin.
Aer Lingus and Emerald Airlines have announced details of the commencement of Aer Lingus Regional flights from Dublin, with tickets on sale now.
- The flights operated under a franchise agreement by Emerald Airlines will commence on 17th March as Aer Lingus Regional.
- The announcement will result in Emerald Airlines flying over 340 flights per week across 11 routes with fares starting at £25.99.
- High-frequency routes, including Dublin-Edinburgh and Dublin-Glasgow, will be served up to 4 times daily. Ano the re-establishment of services to regional points across the U.K including Newquay Cornwall, Exeter, and Isle of Man.
- The announcement adds over 60 UK – US routes on the Aer Lingus network connecting via Dublin including connections from UK regional airports to New York, Los Angeles, Boston and Seattle.
- Further details, routes and launch dates in relation to the Belfast operation will be announced in the New Year.
NI’s first City Deal signed unlocking £1 billion of co-investment for the Belfast region including investment in local tourism.
- Bangor Waterfront will reconnect the town with the sea through a range of attractions and experiences. The investment will provide high quality public spaces, a new Music Hub and will regenerate assets including Bangor Marina, Pickie Fun Park and watersports facilities at Ballyholme Yacht Club, enhancing the town and encouraging further investment.
- Belfast Stories - a transformational anchor visitor attraction in Belfast will allow people to connect with the city and one another through stories, screen and social spaces. The experience will include a state-of-the-art multi-screen film centre and vibrant public spaces allowing for lively event programming and animation.
- Destination Royal Hillsborough will further enhance Hillsborough Castle by restoring and developing the historic Courthouse and Fort and investing in the Forest. This will include opening a Social Enterprise Café and integrating and improving connections between these attractions and the wider village through improved public realm, to attract more visitors to this world-class heritage village.
- Carrickfergus Regeneration will provide investment in Carrickfergus Castle, including its visitor hub and historic walls. Its connection to the town centre will regenerate, reposition and rebrand the town, placing it firmly on the map as an authentic, heritage-led tourism hub - a 'must visit' starting point to the Causeway Coastal Route.
- The Gobbins Phase 2 - this exhilarating visitor attraction will be enhanced by the addition of a stunning staircase, an upgrade to the cliff top path - to include a new rope bridge that stretches across the coastline - and the development of a new Welcome Hub which will include augmented reality experiences.
- The Mourne Mountains Gateway - will redefine visitors’ experience of the Mourne Mountains whilst supporting the sustainable growth of tourism and protecting the region’s natural heritage and habitat. The project will deliver a world class visitor attraction, and will create improved, more sustainable access to the Mournes.
- Newry City Centre Regeneration - will deliver a civic hub, theatre and conferencing facilities which, together with new public realm and grade A office provision, will revitalise the city. The regeneration will also create and sustain jobs, increase visitor numbers, appeal to residents and stimulate the evening economy.