Portview Trade Centre in East Belfast has opened a living museum event space called ‘Banana Block’!
Located on the Newtownards Road, it is formerly the site of the Strand Spinning Mill, which in the 1930s was a key feature within a vibrant East Belfast community.
In late 2021 ‘Banana Block’ opened its doors which was the first step in transforming Portview into a tourism oasis and a unique hub for innovation, creativity, and culture.
As well as bringing the ‘Belfast Banana’ back to life in its on-site garden display, the building will also act as a museum, events, and commercial space.
EastBlock Bazaar Artisan Market
- A new monthly market happening the last Sunday of every month. The market will have stalls full of vintage trinkets, vinyl, clothes, plants, art, design, food, beers and great music – a little bit of everything!
- It will be on from 1 – 5pm and welcomes everyone including lovely doggies!
The Banana Circle
- Central to Banana Block is an interactive display of banana plants and other rare species which we are growing in homage to the mill’s former gardener, William Richardson, who was one of the first people to cultivate bananas in the British Isles.
- Surrounding the Banana Circle you’ll find information boards with a history of the building and bananas.
- Did you know that banana skins are used in Venezuelan and Brazilian cuisine as a vegan alternative to meat? Just one of the many snippets of info you’ll discover in the Banana Museum.
Fabulous Foodie Finds
- Order a burger from The Hatch
- A Bagel from Bodega Bagels
- A toastie and a coffee from Melter
Supporting local independent retailers
- Grow your own mushrooms with a kit from Hearty Growers.
- Buy a fabulous houseplant from Down To Earth
- Music lovers will love the record shop, Sound Advice
Donate to Show Some Love
Another World Belfast (AWB) have installed a Show Some Love donation station at the entrance foyer of the complex. Donations of toiletries and clothing items will go in their Love Pack. AWB is a not for profit CIC that builds practical projects to help people and planet. https://www.anotherworldbelfast.com/
Portview Trade Centre
310 Newtownards Rd, Belfast BT4 1HE
Follow the signs to Banana Block!
10:00 AM – 6:00 PM Wednesday – Saturday
12:00 PM – 6:00 PM Sundays