- Escapes, supported by the BFI, awarding National Lottery funding, is offering everyone the opportunity to enjoy the big screen experience and discover independent cinema.
- Arriving on Monday 5th February, Escapes is offering everyone the opportunity to grab a FREE cinema ticket to see the brand new award-winning Zac Efron film; The Iron Claw, before its official UK release date.
- Partnering with over 400 independent cinemas nationwide, Escapes is on a mission to bring new audiences to the cinema with free screenings.
- Everyone can grab free tickets here.
Travel and Tourism
Belfast Named One of the Top 10 Most Sustainable Destinations Globally
- Belfast has secured a spot among the 10 most sustainable destinations globally, as revealed by the esteemed Tripadvisor’ Travellers’ Choice Awards Best of the Best.
- For eco-conscious travellers, Belfast emerges as a destination of sustainability, backed not just by words but by measurable actions. The commitment to sustainable responsibility is verified through comprehensive assessments by the Global Destination Sustainability Movement and Tripadvisor.
- This achievement positions Belfast as a leader in sustainable tourism.
Titanic Belfast Storm Damage
- Titanic Belfast has taken the decision to extend its closure period to allow additional time for remedial works to its roof to take place.
- It is anticipated that the attraction will now reopen on Saturday 3rd February.
- For more information including FAQs please see www.titanicbelfast.com/closure
Tourism NI launches series of innovation workshops
- Tourism NI is set to host a series of regional innovation workshops for tourism and hospitality businesses around Northern Ireland.
- Taking place as part of Tourism NI’s `Innovate Tourism’ programme, the interactive workshops aim to demonstrate how innovation is key to business growth, while also increasing awareness and knowledge about what innovation means in a tourism context.
- In addition, the workshops will show businesses how to embed innovation in day-to-day operations, creating value and enhancing the visitor experience.
- Further information about the innovation workshops is available at NI Business Events & Webinars | Tourism NI
Transforming four Belfast urban spaces: from grey to green
- Almost £115,000 is being invested in making the city greener thanks to Belfast City Council and the Department for Infrastructure Blue Green Infrastructure fund.
- Belfast City Council has confirmed the successful applicants for the Grey to Green initiative
- The Conservation Volunteers has been granted a section of the Belfast Stories site to develop a publicly accessible community garden.
- Killultagh Estates is creating a Living Wall at 32-38 Linenhall Street; a vertical greening project on the façade of a prominent nine storey office building.
- Maritime Belfast Trust will deliver the Queen’s Quay Greening Project, transforming a vacant area of land into an attractive green space.
- Belfast South Community Resources will be creating ‘Sandy Glade’ on a derelict site at the corner of Sandy Row and Wellwood Street, planting a glade of native trees and pollinator shrubs and a living green wall.
Vacant to Vibrant scheme is re-energising city centre units
- 2024 is off to a promising start for three Belfast businesses, thanks to funding from Belfast City Council.
- They join 15 other successful Vacant to Vibrant applicants, all breathing new life into Belfast city centre and re-energising a number of vacant city centre units.
- Absolute Hair and Beauty, an independent business operating in Belfast for over 30 years, is undertaking refurbishment works to the ground floor unit at 84 Castle Street to support long-term occupation following a short-term occupation, creating two additional employment opportunities and long-term security for the business.
- North South Retail Ltd has been awarded a Vacant to Vibrant grant to support the refurbishment of two vacant units to create a café and bakery in Great Northern Mall on Victoria Street. ‘Bread Street Bakery Café’, is now offering takeaway and sit-in options for up to 40 people.
- Vacant to Vibrant is helping Belfast based independent business Re:lettings Limited (which specialises in residential property lettings, management and maintenance) to relocate in a larger, more prominent unit at Forsythe House.
- For more information on how to make an application, go to www.belfastcity.gov.uk/vacanttovibrant or email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Belfast City Council and NICVA partner to explore inclusive employment
- Over 200 delegates gathered at Ulster University’s Belfast campus recently to explore how Belfast can address economic inactivity and achieve a truly inclusive labour market.
- Delegates discussed how our health and employment services might work together better, lessons learned about delivering effective personal support, upskilling, local-level interventions that could be scaled up, and what new support programmes might look like.
- For more information on Belfast City Council’s employability and skills support, including Employment Academies and the Gateway To Choices (G2C) service, visit www.belfastcity.gov.uk/employability
Charity and Fundraising
Would you abseil off the Europa?
- Join Simon Community this spring and challenge yourself to a new adventure!
- Register today and abseil off the iconic Europa Hotel in Belfast. With panoramic views you will see Belfast in a whole new light.
- Organise a group of friends or work colleagues and help the charity to end homelessness in Northern Ireland
- Belfast Europa Hotel Sunday 28th April 2024
- For more information contact email@example.com
Fundraising event at Strand Arts Centre
- Northern Ireland’s last remaining operational picturehouse, Strand Arts Centre, will host a special anniversary screening of the iconic Northern Irish drama-comedy, Mickybo & Me on Thursday 8thFebruary,
- It will begin with a special Q&A with members of the film’s cast and crew.
- The screening is one of several fundraising events to support the Strand Arts Centre’s transformational £6.5M redevelopment project
- To find out more visit www.strandartscentre.com
Inspiring Textiles at WWT Castle Espie
- Newtownards based social enterprise Inspiring Yarns has been awarded a £99,927 grant by The National Lottery Heritage Fund to implement a project called Inspiring Textiles at WWT Castle Espie, the charity for wetlands and wildlife on the shores of Strangford Lough.
- Inspiring Textiles at WWT Castle Espie will significantly focus on promoting heritage yarn and textile skills.
- It is hoped that, through learning and developing these skills, the project will help alleviate symptoms, reduce stigma and encourage openness around mental health and isolation.
- The project will also focus on a partnership with WWT Castle Espie to reveal how nature and mental health are connected, whilst exploring current environmental themes and challenges to their conservation work.
Oscar winner helps raise awareness for Harberton Special School
- Harberton Special School’s plight to raise £100K for two new playgrounds has been backed by Oscar winning ex-pupil, James Martin, from south Belfast, who was the first person with Downs Syndrome to win an Academy Award.
- Harberton Special School has a north and south Belfast campus, and a playground is needed for each site, explained principal, James Curran MBE.
- To donate click here - https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/harbertonsprojectplaygrounds.
Titanic Guitars launch
- Dundonald-based company IBC-Music debuts its first acoustic guitar brand at the Titanic Hotel building on the success of winning the prestigious King’s Award.
- IBC-Music announced the launch of Titanic Guitars at the Award’s Event, hosted at The Titanic Hotel Belfast
- Titanic Guitars - is a unique line that pays homage to the tradition of Irish music and guitar building.
- For more information visit www.ibc-music.com
Multi-Million Pound Business Support Service
- A major new Northern Ireland enterprise support service ‘Go Succeed’ is now live
- This initiative aims to offer entrepreneurs, start-ups, and existing businesses valuable guidance and financial support.
- The comprehensive service includes tailored business support pathways, bespoke mentoring, masterclasses, peer-to-peer networking opportunities, and access to grant assistance.
- If you have a business or are interested in starting your own enterprise, visit www.go-succeed.com