Belfast Tradfest: A jam-packed week full of traditional music, song and dance
A jam-packed week full of traditional music, song and dance, featuring some of the best traditional musicians, singers & dancers from across these islands.
This week-long event, featuring a summer school and a full programme of concerts, workshops, talks, lectures, sessions, céilí's & festival club, is the only one of its kind in Northern Ireland and brings together both the Irish and the Ulster-Scots musical traditions, in a shared celebration of culture & heritage.
Belfast TradFest events will run across many of the city’s well known venues:
- Song and Fiddle Sunday 24th July at The John Hewitt with Niamh Parsons & Graham Dunne and TG4 Gradam Ceoil / Belfast City Council bursary recipient Sinead McKenna.
- Dervish frontwoman Cathy Jordan brings her trio ‘The Unwanted’ to The Black Box Sunday 24th July.
- A tribute to the Belfast Harp Festival of 1792 takes place on Tuesday 26th July at Áras Mhic Reachtain and will feature world renowned harpist Máire Ní Chathasaigh & Australian guitar virtuoso Steve Cooney amongst others.
- With Fife & Drum Tuesday 26th July at Strand Arts Centre explores the traditions of Scotland and Ireland with some of the world’s finest pipers and drummers including Alastair Roberts, Mike Smyth, Garthe McLees & Tommy Hayes.
- Ceol Beirte Wednesday 27th July at An Droichead features Ciarán & Caitlín and Barry Kerr & Síle Denvir amongst others in a celebration of duet playing.
- World class traditional flute players and whistlers such as TG4 Gradam Ceoil musicians of the year Harry Bradley & Mary Bergin, feature at Flutopia Thursday 28th July at The Deer’s Head.
- Thursday 28th July showcases two emerging artists Dàibhidh Stiùbhard and Miadhachlughain O'Donnell at the SunFlower Folk Club.
- Ta Bean In Éirinn will be a celebration of the finest female traditional musicians, singers and dancers in Ireland, such as Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh, Caitlín Níc Gabhann & recent TG4 Gradam Ceoil recipient Edwina Guckian, on Thursday 28 July at Cultúrlann McAdam Ó Fiaich.
- Make sure you also look out for out for Belfast TradFest Session Trail running across a wide range of venues. The trail sponsored by McConnell’s Irish Whisky features over 40 sessions, all free admission.
- TradFest partners with Belfast Pride to host the Pride Céilí with music by Ciaran Kelly & Friends and with dances called by Ronan Eastwood at Oh Yeah Music Centre Wednesday 27th July.
- TradFest Festival Club will be a rip-roaring late night hot spot with trad luminaries including Gino Lupari of Four men & a Dog, Gerry ‘Banjo’ O’Connor, Damien Mullane and local trio’s Briste & Troda.
- Also look out for a range of exhibitions and CD launches.
Link to full festival programme click here https://www.belfasttraditionalmusic.com/