The Big Bakes has recreated the Greggs famous sausage roll recipe and shared it with us but we couldn’t include a recipe for making a Greggs sausage roll without including a vegan version. So we’ve partnered up with Philipp from the amazing Exceedingly Vegan to share his great recipe with you all.
The Big Bakes version
For the pastry:
- Strong flour – 200g
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Chilled butter – 200g cubed
- Chilled water – 40g
For the filling:
- Pork sausages – 450g
- Green apple – 1 (peeled and grated)
- Fennel – 2 tsp
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Beaten egg for brushing and finishing
METHOD: How to make the ultimate sausage roll
- Preheat your oven to 190c. Mix the flour and salt together in a mixing bowl
- Add the butter and rub in using your finger tips, stop when the butter is pea sized. It will not be completely mixed in.
- Add enough chilled water to make a shaggy dough – you may not need all of it.
- Turn the dough out onto your work surface and work the dough with your hands into a ball, flatten slightly and wrap your disc of dough in cling film. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, remove the pastry dough from the fridge and dust your work surface with flour.
- Roll the pastry out to a 30 x 15cm rectangle, then take the short ends of the rectangle and fold towards the middle of the dough. Repeat again to form a book.
- Repeat step 6 and rest the dough in the fridge for a further 30 minutes. While the dough is resting make your filling.
METHOD: To make your Filling.
- Remove the sausages from their casings and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Peel and grate the apple and add to the pork along with the fennel, salt and pepper.
- Mix to combine and shape into 2 logs 30cm long and wrap in clingfilm. Rest in the freezer.
- Now split the dough into 2 portions, roll each portion into a rectangle 15 x 30cm.
- Lay half your sausage mixture down each piece of dough, lengthways in a cylinder shape leaving a 1-2cm edge.
- Brush the long edge with beaten egg and tightly fold the pastry over the sausage mixture until the edges meet each other.
- Turn the sausage logs over and cut into 8cm lengths, brush with egg and top with fennel seeds.
- Rest in the freezer for 20 minutes
- Bake on a greased baking tray for 20 minutes.￼
Follow The Big Bakes on Instagram here
The EXCEEDINGLY VEGAN version
INGREDIENTS (4-5 sausages):
Step 1 ingredients:
- 100g walnuts
Step 2 ingredients:
- 1 red onion
- 250g closed cup white mushrooms
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 tbsp miso passte
Step 3 ingredients:
- 75g breadcrumbs (normal or gluten-free)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp celery salt
- Pepper to taste
Step 4 ingredients:
- Puff pastry
Add 100g of walnuts into a food processor until you get a coarse flour. Transfer to a large bowl and clean the food processor.
Then chop up 1 red onion and 250g closed cup white mushrooms. Sauté the onion in oil until softened and then add the mushrooms and cook both until the liquid has evaporated and it becomes a sticky mass. Add both to the food processor together with 5 sun-dried tomatoes in oil and 1 tbsp miso paste. Process until it becomes smooth. Add it to the bowl with the walnut flour.
Add all other ingredients from step 3 into the bowl as well and mix together until you get a sticky dough-like mix. Form balls with your hands and then roll them out on a wooden board to create sausage shapes.
Roll out a puff pastry sheet (most of them are vegan). Place the sausage in the left hand corner. Cut the puff pastry sheet into 4 quarters. Roll the sausage into the sheet and then fold in the ends so it’s encased on all sides. Flatten a tiny bit with your hands. Then make small horizontal cuts.
Place on a baking tray lined with a baking paper and bake in the preheated oven at 180C (360F) for 25 min or until the puff pastry has a nice golden glow.
Take out of the oven an enjoy!
Originally featured on the Exceedingly Vegan website here.