5 ways to pamper yourself with a Spa at Home experience
Spring is known as the season of rejuvenation, and as we are at home more, now is the perfect time to pamper ourselves and indulge in some sumptuous self-care spa treatments.
Until they welcome us again to their beautiful surroundings, spa providers from across Northern Ireland have shared some top tips with Discover Northern Ireland on how to create a soothing spa experience.
From running the perfect bath to a sensational body scrub recipe, take time to unwind from the everyday stresses of life using some ingredients you’d find in your cupboard.
Finn Lough Hideaway Detox Soak
Set amongst the rugged beauty of County Fermanagh and nestled amongst the trees on the water’s edge, the experts at the unique Finn Lough Hideaway are focused on creating a journey for the senses. They have put together a little detox soak to encourage us to unwind.
- 1/3 cup of sea salt or Epsom salt, reported to reduce swelling and soothe muscles.
- 1/4 cup baking soda, said to improve detoxification.
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, suggested to improve skin health.
- 2cm of chopped ginger, some suggest this aids in digestion.
- Your favourite essential oil if you fancy it, just because it smells nice!
- Get the bath running.
- While your tub fills up, mix the baking soda and salt in a jug of warm water.
- Then start adding the ingredients.
- Swish it all around to mix.
- Lie back and stew for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Rinse off well after your bath.
Hastings Heavenly Body Scrub
Named Number 1 UK Spa in 2020 by The Wardrobe Magazine and Luxury Hotel of the Year in the 2017 Irish Hotel Awards, the 5* Culloden in County Down, of the Hastings Group, has a tranquil spa surrounded by 12 acres of beautiful, secluded gardens and woodland. Manager Niamh Rice has shared an easy to make body scrub recipe using zesty ingredients to create the perfect aroma and give you a deep cleanse.
- Refreshing zested lemon, acting as a natural astringent.
- A touch of rosemary, with antiseptic and antimicrobial properties making it perfect for acne-prone skin.
- Your choice of bath salts to cleanse the skin, leaving you feeling brand new.
- Apply liberally by massaging onto the skin.
- Leave on the skin and relax.
- Wash off after 10 minutes and your skin will feel smoother and brighter.
Corick House Hotel & Spa At-Home Oasis
Corick House Hotel & Spa (4*) in County Tyrone is a sanctuary to unwind and de-stress. The luxurious spa facilities including hydrotherapy pool, steam chambers, sauna, and outdoor hot tub, as well as a relaxation suite, make it the ultimate serene escape. We hope some of these simple at-home spa ideas can leave you feeling relaxed and rejuvenated.
- With many of us at home, we recommend making a space for yourself to relax, unwind and de-stress. Whether it’s a small corner to do yoga, read, meditate, work out or simply rest. Make it your own space to collect your thoughts and take yourself off from the daily routines to focus on yourself.
- Take time for yourself to run a bath - use essential oils for mood and smell. Lavender is great for reducing stress. Rose is great for improving your mood and reducing anxiety.
- Develop a simple but effective skincare routine. A simple morning and evening routine for your skin can greatly improve overall complexion, hydration, and elasticity. Cleanse, tone, and moisturise are the three staples to any skincare routine and this is a sure way to see benefits.
- Self-care days/evenings or hours are much needed for our mental wellness. An exfoliating scrub and face mask are genius pick-me-ups. Exfoliate your skin once a week, apply your face mask and relax. This is a great time to unwind while you are waiting for the mask to work its magic.
The Galgorm’s Relaxing Rituals
Galgorm Spa & Golf Resort (4*) in County Antrim is renowned for its ultimate relaxation experience and luxury wellness, inspired by its idyllic woodland location perched along the River Maine. While you are currently relaxing at home, the experts who work with Galgorm at Aromatherapy Associates have shared top tips to fully become a wellness warrior.
- Remind yourself what you do have, rather than lamenting on things that are not available to you at the moment.
- Note the things that make you smile throughout the day, from a leisurely breakfast enjoyed in your back garden, to a cherry blossom tree in bloom, to reruns of your favourite television series.
- Remind yourself of the simple things that make you happy.
Choose Your Mindset
How you frame the situation and the language you use has a powerful impact on your state of mind.
Breathe in for a count of 4, and breathe out for a count of 7. This exercise will engage your parasympathetic nervous system which helps to bring calm and relaxation.
The Merchant Spa At-Home Experience
The Spa at the Merchant Hotel (5*) has been thoughtfully designed to make the hustle and bustle of Belfast’s Cathedral Quarter feel a world away. Truly a haven, The Merchant Spa provides a tranquil environment that will revitalise your body and mind. Here is a simple self-care ritual to recreate that five-star feeling from the comfort of your home, leaving you relaxed and reinvigorated.
- Set the mood by lighting your favourite candle, play a chilled-out playlist and pop on a fluffy robe.
- Begin by removing your make-up. Now it’s time for some dry body brushing. Dry brushing is a natural way to increase circulation, support a healthy metabolism, eliminate dead skin cells and help the body's natural detoxification process.
- Run a bath with your favourite soothing products and pop a hair mask and face mask on to enjoy during your bath, while you drift off into total relaxation.
- If you’re missing your massages, we recommend using some of our favourite products from the spa such as VOYA Feel the Heat - a warming body gel that can help to ease muscle tension. Another great product is the Elemis Instant Refreshing Gel. This gel is great whether you’ve got tight shoulders from sitting at a computer or have been standing on your feet all day.
Please note, the advice is for informational purposes only and it is important to consult a doctor before adding anything to your health routine, especially if you are pregnant or have a health condition.
For more information about great places to stay and enjoy a spa experience visit www.discovernorthernireland.com.